Have BBQ leftover after your sandwiches or nachos?
Try this BBQ pizza recipe!
- 1 basic pizza dough (or Trader Joe’s refrigerated dough)
- 8 ounces pulled pork shoulder
- 8 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Rendezvous barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly oil a baking sheet or prepare a pizza stone. Set aside.
- If previously chilled, allow dough to come to room temperature for 20-30 minutes. Lightly flour a surface and roll dough into desired shape and thickness.
- Spread a base of sauce evenly, leaving 1 inch of dough for a crust. Sprinkle half the cheese over the sauce, followed by the pork. Layer remaining cheese on top.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to set for 5-10 minutes, then slice and serve!
Let’s be honest: With the exception of national delivery chains (sorry, Domino fans), pizza in all forms is my preference. Whether doughy and deep-dish or thin crust or Neapolitan, high-quality pizza with a glass of red wine or craft beer might be my top comfort meal. Alex and I have delved into homemade versions, which remind us of his parents’ outdoor brick pizza oven of which we’ve grown so fond during visits to Little Rock. Here in Memphis, we’ve mastered multiple version, this barbecue-style quickly becoming our favorite!
I ordered some pork shoulder to-go from Charlie Vergos Rendezvous, located half a mile down Main Street. The suite of sauces is already in our fridge, though you can find the barbecue and new mustard sauces in most groceries in the region (or online!). This prep literally takes ten minutes and yields the smokiest and yummiest pie to share. And we won’t judge if you dip the pizza in more barbecue sauce, naturally.